Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Greenhouse Designs

   I was reviewing Solar panel positioning data yesterday for our area and it suddenly occurred to me that if I wanted to build a greenhouse with maximum light penetration and heat generation in the winter, then the south-facing wall should be at about the same angle as for solar power generation.  See U.S. Solar Radiation Resource Maps for the data I used.  The winter optimum angle is your latitude minus 15°, and the summer, static, optimum angle for power generation is your latitude plus 15°.  Coudersport's latitude is about 41.65°, which I rounded to roughly 42°.  This gives us angles of 27° and 57°.  In my design tool I have to have a wall to put the degree measuring tool against so you will see the angles converted 180° out, or 153° and 123°.
   My design program doesn't have fine-enough setting to land exactly at the foot mark when adjusting the angles, but you can bet I'll be rounding these lengths off when building mine. It's not that critical, I just need to be in the ballpark.
   The left side of the drawings are the south-facing sides.




1 comment:

  1. The "Summer Optimum" would be good for making electricity but would tend to make the plants a bit "crispy".

    ReplyDelete